Thursday, October 6, 2011

Autumn and Me

My favorite time of year, Fall. Properly named, because I fall in love with it every year. Since I was a child, I could smell it in the air. I actually know the smell.... it is a wood burning, leaf browning smell. I can't explain it any better, but I know that I could sit outside and just.......... breathe.........the whole season long... if I had no responsibilities... of course. I do, though, so I just get to enjoy it in passing these days. I got married this time of year, so that my anniverseries would have a beautiful background, so they do. I was born in Spring, so is it an opposite attraction thing? Just a thought. When I was younger, I thought I would like to live waaaay up North, with lots of snow. Now that I live a little further North......than the deep south....I have changed my mind. I love Fall, but Winter can be so harsh. Just a little snow is all I need. Kentucky is a beautiful state. I am happy here, would like to visit the East coast, though. I especially find the pictures of New England in the Fall breathe taking. One of my dream vacations would be to drive an SUV with a little camper up the coast and stop somewhere different every day, eat somewhere unheard of, shop at a mom and pop store, sit on the shore and talk to strangers, have no particular destination........definitely a dream. Retirement? Who knows, right? Back to the subject at hand, autumn, it is sooooo completely lovely. Nicole Nordeman sings a song about the seasons, one of my favorite songs, and she relates them to the seasons of our lives, parallel to the way we transform as human beings. I am amazed how God created EVERYTHING relative. She refers to Fall as a time of death, when leaves fall from the branches, grass dies (some say thank God for that!) But it awakens me, so strange. Maybe I look forward to some things fading away, and making room for new, who knows.  All I do know, is that deep orange, banana yellow, rustic red, they go so good together.

1 comment:

  1. I love this season, I love that song, and I love you. :)

    ReplyDelete